- Travel News: Going, Going, Gone--The Society of American Travel Writers Holds Its Annual Travel-Package Auction
- Event Coverage: The 2013 Grand Ascent at Hershey
- Favorite Dog-Friendly Dining Spots When Driving New Hampshire's Monadnock Region (Part Two)
- Adventures: Shelby Run Europe 2012
- Road-Trip Food: Pitchfork Steak Fondue (Medora, North Dakota)
- From the Archives: Camaro's NASCAR 1969 Pace Cars
- This Day In Automotive History
- Getting Future Road-Trippers Behind the Wheel at LEGOLAND Florida
- Shop Local or Take a Hike? With Rail Trails, Those Touring New Hampshire by Car Can Do Both in One Day
- Sneak Peek: 2014 Alfa Romeo 4C
- Go Dogs Go!: Uncork the Love at Flag Hill Winery -- and More Dog-Friendly Fun Near the New Hampshire Coast
- Event Coverage: 2013 La Jolla Concours d'Elegance
With tips for Fido-friendly travel, road trips on a budget, and much more, PlanYourRoadTrip.com is our favorite new trip-planning website.
|Not Found on eBay: 1949 Dodge Wayfarer|
|Written by Rich Truesdell|
|Thursday, 02 June 2011 20:52|
Dick Pearson had his own idea about building a hybrid, and it had nothing to do with a gas/electric powerplant. Richard Truesdell checks out a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer with the heart of a modern Mopar, a new-gen, 5.7-liter Hemi.
Dick Pearson is a dyed-in-the-wool car guy, someone who possesses both vision and the skills necessary to translate his automotive dreams into reality. In this case, the dream was to take one of the most unusual cars of the immediate post-War era--a 1949 Dodge Wayfarer coupe--and infuse it with the heart and soul of a modern Mopar.
I have come across several Wayfarers at Mopar shows over the years. Most were restored versions of the three-passenger business coupes, and a few were roadsters, all sitting on a 115-inch wheelbase. Then, at the 2010 Spring Fling All-Mopar Show at Woodley Park in Van Nuys north of Los Angeles, I saw Pearson's unusual hybrid. At the time, the car was equipped with steel wheels accented with trim rings and dog-dish hubcaps, since replaced with upgraded rolling stock.