- Travel News: Going, Going, Gone--The Society of American Travel Writers Holds Its Annual Travel-Package Auction
- Event Coverage: The 2013 Grand Ascent at Hershey
- Favorite Dog-Friendly Dining Spots When Driving New Hampshire's Monadnock Region (Part Two)
- Adventures: Shelby Run Europe 2012
- Road-Trip Food: Pitchfork Steak Fondue (Medora, North Dakota)
- From the Archives: Camaro's NASCAR 1969 Pace Cars
- This Day In Automotive History
- Getting Future Road-Trippers Behind the Wheel at LEGOLAND Florida
- Shop Local or Take a Hike? With Rail Trails, Those Touring New Hampshire by Car Can Do Both in One Day
- Sneak Peek: 2014 Alfa Romeo 4C
- Go Dogs Go!: Uncork the Love at Flag Hill Winery -- and More Dog-Friendly Fun Near the New Hampshire Coast
- Event Coverage: 2013 La Jolla Concours d'Elegance
With tips for Fido-friendly travel, road trips on a budget, and much more, PlanYourRoadTrip.com is our favorite new trip-planning website.
|George Harrison Mini Cooper|
|Written by Brandy Schaffels|
|Saturday, 16 May 2009 07:37|
A new edition of the legendary George Harrison MINI helps support a good cause at MINI United 2009.
MINI has come up with a fresh interpretation of George Harrison's extravagantly decorated original MINI Cooper to coincide with the brand's 50th birthday celebration. The one-off model will be handed over to Olivia Harrison at the MINI United event where she will accept the MINI on behalf of the Material World Charitable Foundation, a charity set up by George Harrison in 1973. The car will be auctioned in aid of the Foundation later in the year.
MINI United--the world's biggest fan event--will take place at Silverstone next week in the United Kingdom from May 22 to May 24, 2009. The festival delivers three days of non-stop entertainment for the brand's large fan community. The MINI United event features concerts, shows, car races, and many more fun activities especially for MINI Cooper fans, and will be the perfect stage on which to showcase the unique new MINI Cooper inspired by George Harrison.
Mini has recreated George's classic psychedelic Beatlemania MINI with an awesome new look. The story is told that back in 1966, The Beatles' manager Brian Epstein gave each of the Fab Four a Mini Cooper S as a gift. In keeping with the zeitgeist of the time, lead guitarist George had his car painted with psychedelic images such as yantras and Sanskrit mantras.
In 1967, this legendary Mini starred in The Beatles' film Magical Mystery Tour, and now, to coincide with its landmark 50th anniversary, MINI is dedicating a modern interpretation of George's car to the man himself. This fun MINI Cooper one-off has been designed according to the wishes of Olivia Harrison and rekindles the look of George's outrageous original.
"George was a huge MINI fan and he would have enjoyed creating this new version. The fact that MINI's anniversary celebrations will also benefit our Foundation has made it an enjoyable as well as meaningful collaboration," says Olivia Harrison.
It might be too late to make plans to attend the giant festival being held at Silverstone in the United Kingdom next week, but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy photos of this special MINI Cooper here at Automotive Traveler. We'll be sure to keep you updated when we hear more about the Material World Charitable Foundation--perhaps you'll want to bid on it!